Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sanctuary

In today's reading (2 Samuel 9,) King David welcomes the last of Saul's relatives, Mephibosheth, into his court and guarantees that he will be provided for, in spite of Saul's constant attempts to kill David. He tells Saul's grandson, "You will always eat at my table."

Putting myself in Mephibosheth's shoes, I imagine feeling very surprised and relieved. I would feel grateful. All my life I've felt excluded (I've come to realize that I'm just an introvert, and I don't do well in situations where I'm put in large groups of people). So to be included at the King's table would make me feel so very honored. I would finally feel like I belonged and that I wasn't a wallflower any more.

Then I read the parable of the wedding banquet (Matthew 22:1-14.) I believe that the invitation extended from the king is that of happiness. God is inviting us to be happy in our lives. True happiness is found in faith, in times of uncertainty, hope, in times of suffering, and always kindness to each other. All of us are invited to happiness in God, in many different ways, but a lot of people would rather do their own thing. I've been there. I've been depressed and alone but somehow I always felt God was with me. I often chose not to acknowledge it. Even in the darkest times I've been blessed with hope for the future, whether I attributed it to God or not. I think the invitation is to live in God intentionally, and feed your spirit at his table. Sometimes our bad habits and selfishness keep us stuck and we think we would prefer those routines to eating at God's banquet. This is understandable because we are all creatures of habit. Right now the main thing that keeps me from peace is frustration in a lot of daily issues. I have to pray to be able to transcend these problems that I can't control and choose to be happy anyways.

"These are they who come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore,

they are before the throne of God
and serve him day and night in his temple;
and he who sits on the throne  will spread his tent over them.
Never again will they hunger;
never again will they thirst.
The sun will not beat upon them,
nor any scorching heat.
For the Lamb at the center of the throne
will be their shepherd;
he will lead them to springs of living water.
And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."

Revelation 7:14-17

No comments:

Post a Comment